Walini Tea Estate’s Rolling Hills of Awesome

By : Nonito

I have been caught up in a lot of stuff lately that I totally almost forgot to write about one of the most memorable highlights of my recent trip to Indonesia. I haven’t been completely over that quick jaunt in the West Javanese countryside, and from time to time, I would still get flashbacks of the great time that I had there.

So before I get caught up again in the hustle and bustle of moving into my new apartment in preparation for the start of my Grad School classes in UP, I’d like to attempt to get all the backlogs out of the way, particularly this one piece on Walini Tea Estate, West Java’s highland tea plantations that made my pulse race with its breathtaking beauty.

But first, a trip down memory lane.

Remember how I wrote about going to Kawah Putih and being rendered speechless by the natural beauty of West Java’s best-kept secret of a volcanic crater? I hired a van/tour guide and explored the outskirts of Bandung, where I had an absolutely amazing time going around the artsy streets and the hidden cafés. Mas Jub, the tour guide slash driver slash interpreter brought me to the mountains and showed me around.

After being treated to the visually orgasmic Kawah Putih, Mas Jub still had a big surprise waiting for me. From Kawah Putih, the Walini tea estate was only a few minutes away. After some craggy rocks and cliffs, we turned  a sharp corner on the mountain road and a visual explosion of hills upon hills with tidy rows of tea trees welcomed my eyes.

It was a divine feeling of instantly having your worries lifted off you.

image


image

The furrows of tea plants in Walini are the same trees that the Dutch brought to Java when they occupied Indonesia centuries ago. The tea estate now serves as one of the most important employers in the area. The neat rows of plantations and furrows that take up most of the mountainsides and the rolling hills are productive and thriving, and so the business is booming, producing tea for major Indonesian companies.

image

It was still cold enough that some areas were still misty. I waited by the roadside for the dew to lift, which was one of the most calming things I’ve ever experienced. You know how they say drinking tea calms you down? I felt thoroughly relaxed just taking in all the view and the fresh air. Maybe it was the tea essence in the mist combined with the majestic sight of the rolling mist slowly unveiling the beautiful valleys that calmed my senses?




image


image

As far as I know, tea doesn’t grow anywhere in the Philippines so it was something different for me to see. The rural scene in Walini is so pretty and picturesque, and everyone in the villages near the plantations are living postcard perfect lives surrounded by all that natural beauty.
image


image

Of course, I had to take a picture in between the rows of tea plants. The rows are actually so close to each other I might have hurt a few twigs and branches and I felt sorry for trampling all over the plants. But hey… Documentation, right?

image
Will you look at that?

image
Here’s another one.

image

This view of the tiny slice of road that peeked through the high hills is so pretty.

image

The truck is so cute. It passed by in the most opportune moment, and the picture looks like a very relaxed country scene.

image

I was lucky enough to catch some of the tea plantation workers on their break. I observed them from the van parked across the street so as not to be intrusive, and it was interesting how everyone pulled out their lipsticks after they finished eating. The ladies beautified themselves before going back to toiling the fields. I think that is a super empowering thing to observe in the backwoods: women decide how they want to look like! Isn’t that awesome? They were even comparing lipstick shades, and I just had to come closer to take a look at this wonderful lunchtime activity.

image

Sigh. Indonesia.
Really. I love you so much.
Xx


Source: No Knee Toe